951 Mods Continued
Weather has really killed our progress on the 951 project! Atlanta got hit with a huge snow storm which slowed down our MAF shipment, and then we have been getting nailed with snow over the last few weeks as well, which means no road testing 🙁 I thought we had the car ready to leave the other day, when we discovered a fuel leak at the jumper line to the damper (Porsche recalled this line on all 951’s, but it appears this car never had it done). LUCKILY we caught it idling in the driveway as the owner was picking it up! More than likely the cold weather was the final straw as the car had sat outside overnight for the first time in about a month. So she has to stay with me for a few more days!
I’m not even sure where we left off last. Fabspeed exhaust, 2 piece crossover pipe, and Tial wastegate are on. The EVC-S electronic boost controller is on. Motor mounts were replaced. Axle boots replaced. Last week our MAF showed up from John at Vitesse Racing. We wanted to get rid of the stock AFM barn door meter and update the system to something with much better throttle response, and current technology. The car drives much better with the new set up. Along with the MAF, you must install larger injectors as well as the DME chip board for the programming. John provides a great kit and has arguably the best customer service in the industry.
Opening up the DME. You can see the old chip with a white tag on it. This is obviously not the original chip, and I am not sure whose chip it was, but I am glad to get it the heck out of there!
The new Vitesse Racing chipboard in place.
Goodbye stock airbox and AFM!
Pulling everything apart.
Getting the new MAF setup in place.
There we go. A much cleaner setup.
Next up was to install the 3 bar fuel pressure regulator and larger injectors.
Almost complete….or so I thought.
The car had an exhaust leak at the headers when it came in, but it would seal up after the car idled for about 30 seconds. We found out that when the car sat outside overnight, it took a lot longer for it to seal up, and I wasn’t real happy with that, so I pulled the headers and put in a used set I had. Turns out the exhaust flange on the #2 and #3 header were loose and leaking. Easiest way to check headers off the car is to do a water test. Tape up one end with duct tape, fill the header with water, and look for leaks. The OEM headers are covered with a heat shield, so you can’t see the cracks unless you can catch it from the inside of the header. With the water test, I had water pouring out between the header pipe and the mounting flange.
Bottom flange of 6 bolts.
And the replacement headers in place. Hopefully this will buy us some time. In reality, all of the OEM headers are going to crack eventually on the 944T’s. It can be a bear to get headers swapped on the 951, but doable if you pull a few studs out.